Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Definition of Dandy

Alright so as a wanna be Dandy, how do we define Dandy? Here are some important excerpts from its definition in Wikipedia.

A dandy[1] (also known as a beau, gallant or flamboyant person[2]) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies. Historically, especially in late 18th- and early 19th-century Britain, a dandy, who was self-made, often strove to imitate an aristocratic style of life despite coming from a middle-class background.

Now I'll have to say that I do not judge every person merely by their physical appearance. I do value and believe that the person deep inside is just as important or even more important but there is nothing wrong in taking care of yourself and looking good. A great book with a great cover has a greater chance of selling more than great book with poor cover.

Continuing with the definition of Dandyism.

Charles Baudelaire, in the later, "metaphysical," phase of dandyism[4] defined the dandy as one who elevates æsthetics to a living religion,[5] that the dandy's mere existence reproaches the responsible citizen of the middle class: "Dandyism in certain respects comes close to spirituality and to stoicism" and "These beings have no other status, but that of cultivating the idea of beauty in their own persons, of satisfying their passions, of feeling and thinking .... Contrary to what many thoughtless people seem to believe, dandyism is not even an excessive delight in clothes and material elegance. For the perfect dandy, these things are no more than the symbol
of the aristocratic superiority of his mind."

In the 21st century, the word dandy is a jocular, often sarcastic adjective meaning "fine" or "great"; when used in the form of a noun, it refers to a well-groomed and well-dressed man, but often to one who is also self-absorbed.

Ok I completely fail in that last one. I'm definitely not self-absorbed.

The dictionary comes up with its own meaning of Dandy.

1 : a man who gives exaggerated attention to personal appearance
2 : something excellent in its class

I like the no. 2 or maybe we can combine this all together and here is what I would consider a real Dandy Person.

A Person who knows how to take care of himself and others, a person who has refined taste in all good things in life and a person who knows how to treat not just a woman but everyone with respect and person who treats a lady like she needs to be, in a gentlemanly way. So I think in my Book a Dandy person is also a gentleman. Lets broaden this definition if we can but thats all I can think right now.

Does this mean...I'm Dandy..I'm right now failing by my own standards. I'm respectful with people and ladies but not always a gentleman. In fact I'm one of those people who is very impulsive and hence I easily get carried away in the moment and can behave in very UnDandy ways @ times. I guess I'll try but ultimately I do care and strive to be a better human. Lets just go with Definition no. 2. ..Dandy is something or someone excellent in its class. :). Yep now I feel very Dandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment